Prof. Daniel Etya’ale gets the IAPB Regional Achievement Award for Africa during the IAPB General Assembly in Durban, South Africa on 27th October 2016.
Africa Eye Foundation and the Magrabi ICO Cameroon Eye Institute are elated by this recognition of a lifetime of selfless commitment to the fight against avoidable blindness in Africa.
Prof Etya’ale’s leadership in the fight against blindness spans more than three decades. He has served in several capacities including:
1. Consultant and Technical Advisor to WHO Regional Office for Africa (WHO/AFRO)
2. Technical advisor to Christoffel Blinden Mission (CBM) for Africa as well as member of their Medical Advisdory Board in Bensheim, Germany
3. Techical Advisor to the African and International Boards of ORBIS
4. Visiting Professor of Ophthalmology and International Health at the Universities of Ottawa (Canada), San Francisco (USA), Insbruck, Gratz (Austria) Munich (Germany), Basel (Swizterland)
5. Former member of the Executive Committee of the International Council of Ophthalmology, the supreme body that oversees the quality of training and vision care in ophthalmology worldwide (2004 – 2012) http://www.icoph.org
6. Lifetime member of the World Academy of Ophthalmology
7. Founding member of the Africa Eye Foundation, which is developing the Magrabi ICO Cameroon Eye Institute.
8. World Health Organization. VISION 2020 Coordinator for Africa.
9. Founder of “That Every Life May Count Foundation” (www.telmc.org)