Dr Akef El-Maghraby, board chairman of the Africa Eye Foundation, and main promoter of the Magrabi ICO Cameroon Eye Institute was in Yaounde, Cameroon, from November 22nd-24th 2014.
The main objective of his visit was to see for himself progress made on the construction and reassess with the contractor what the likely dates for the completion of the first phase buildings are.
Dr El-Maghraby was also received in audience by H.E. Dr Philemon Yang, Prime Minister of Cameroon and by H.E. Chief Dr Joseph Dion Ngute, the Minister Delegate in Charge of Relations with the Commonwealth at the Ministry of External Relations.
Accompanying Dr El-Maghraby was a team of senior advisers comprised of:
1. Barrister Clement N. Fondufe, representing Latham and Watkins, an international law firm providing pro bono legal services to the Africa Eye Foundation.
2. Prof Aref Soliman, from Magrabi Hospitals
3. Senior Engineer Ahmed Adam, from Magrabi Hospitals
4. Mr Eric Vachetto, world renowned landscape architect.
5. Dr Henry Nkumbe, acting CEO, Magrabi ICO Cameroon Eye Institute
Equally present were representatives of some of our partners such as Ms Tammy Merril from ORBIS and Mr Peter Mue from CBM.
It should be recalled that the ORBIS Flying Eye Hospital visited Cameroon in October 2013, one of the first fruits of our partnership.